–Intros and in Attendance
–Geology 101/ Terminology
Presentation by Ken Walsh
Basic Caving Terms
- Fault – Plane where rocks have broken apart and slid against each other. Often what starts the formation of a cave. Multiple types.
- Syncline – Forms “V”, water crosses over
- Anticline- Forms upside down “V”, water crosses under
- Dip- Steepest angle on declination
- Strike- Direction at which dip exists
Ken went to Blue Springs during convention. New entrance created by landowner with automated gate.
Camps Gulf with Emily. Group of about 6. One person forgot their shoes. Many had no knee pads. Lots of breakdowns, large rooms (x4). Difficult to navigate. Connected to another group and went along with them
Camps Gulf with Mark. Went through all 4 large rooms into borehole. Visited 2 large, swimmable pools.
Overall Cave with Mark as well. Large passage, lots of decorations and pools.
Mark also did a beginner group into Paxton. Got lost in the maze, but still had fun.
Peter won a raffle at the NSS – 3 days/2 nights led cave trips.
Next month presentation on cave digging with Mike and Lisa. Likely to have interactive component.